In a company that has various branches, of course, the name Wan is an obligation. WAN itself for a simple way of thinking is a network that connects from one company to another, so it can be said that Manage WAN Services is a network with a large scale.
There are services related to the network, namely Manage WAN Services which manage network traffic to run smoothly without problems.
Yang Mungkin Kamu Cari
- Definition of a WAN
- History of WAN Networks
- WAN Network Characteristics
- WAN Network Function
- How WAN Networks Work
- WAN Network Devices
- Types of WANs
- Strengths and Weaknesses of a WAN Network
- Advantages of WAN Networks
- Weaknesses of WAN Networks
- Example of a WAN Network
- WAN Network Implemented in International
Definition of a WAN
Network A wide area network is a computer network that includes a large area, such as a computer network between regions, cities or more countries, or can be defined as computer networks that need routers and public communication channels.
So, WAN is very suitable for a large scale company. And there may also be many government agencies that use this WAN as a communication line from the server to various clients, but different regions and even different countries.
History of WAN Networks
Talking about managing WAN services, of course, for the understanding of WAN and also the history of WANs, you must know this to add knowledge about WAN networks.
WAN network (wide area network) was first discovered in th. 1965, by Larry Robert and Thomas Maril with support from the company ARPA. In practice they connected the TX-2 computer available at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) with the Q-32 computer available in Santa Monica using the telephone network.
Larry Robert and Thomas Marill became the founders of the WAN Network and also the company ARPA.
WAN Network Characteristics
Different networks of course have different characteristics, such as a WAN with other networks, has more specific characteristics.
The characteristics of a WAN include:
- Can back up computers that cannot be overcome by the LAN network process and the MAN network process, together by integrating the two
- The range radius of the WAN (Wide Area Network) is too wide
- Includes various geographic characteristics
- Can access bandwidth even though the distance is too far
- Work on knowledge link from the OSI layer and the physical layer
WAN Network Function
In simple terms, a WAN network is a network that functions to connect one computer to another. But actually the functions of a WAN are many, including:
- Integrating and connecting LAN and MAN networks into one WAN network
- Speeding up the flow of information and communication in a wider network
- Ensuring a more efficient flow of info
- Preventing miscommunication
- More saving costs used for operational purposes
- Supporting the operationalization of national and international companies.
How WAN Networks Work
Before getting to know more about WAN service management, maybe you should know how a WAN network works.
- A company can choose and install 1 PC server for database access purposes.
- Then the PC server can send database information and also packets of information to all networks that have
- been built according to the topology.With the network topology that has been built, the client PC or user can access all information to the PC server even though it is outside the island or even between countries.
WAN Network Devices
In order for a WAN network to run properly, these various devices are very important for sending data or information. Among them are:
This router is useful for connecting two or more networks to send info between networks.
Modem is a support device for converting digital signs to analog. So the digital information sent will be converted into an analog signal so that it is recognized by the transmission technology process, then it will be converted back into digital format and forwarded to the receiver.
The CSU / DSU
Channel Service Unit / Data Service Unit here has a function similar to a modem to transmit data in digital format over a digital telephone network.
ATM Switch ATM Switch
The device is useful as a provider of high-speed data transfer facilities on LANs and WANs.
This is a server device that is useful for dial and special remote locations for users so that they can connect to a LAN.
This device can transmit a combination of several signals and transfer data continuously through a circuit.
This device is capable of connecting special data or local data via a network using digital signals. Frame Relay is almost similar to ATM Switch, except that the transfer speed is not as good as ATM Switch.
Types of WANs
The first thing to build a Manage Service WAN network is to build a network connection between terminals that functions as a WAN component. Interested in SD – WAN Products? You can see in more detail here yes.
The purpose of building a network connection is to make signaling arrangements with remote device connections, so we need a data communication network called WAN technology.
Manage Service WAN technology is distinguished by type, here are the types of WANs.
The first Leased Line
Managed Service WAN is leased lines, a leased line is a telephone network connection line provided by telecommunications companies that is used to transfer digital data permanently.
This technology can transfer data at various speeds with different interfaces.
Please note that leased lines are not directly connected to telephone lines because they do not have dial tones, DC power, ring signals, or busy tones.
This technology has transmission speeds ranging from 64 kbps to megabytes per second.
These leased lines also have the designation Dedicated lines, which means using a direct connection between devices with constant line quality.
Network Manage Service WAN circuit switching can be used to connect terminal pairs by creating their own channels and constantly during the connection:
- Circuit with HOLDED status cannot be used by others.
- The number of circuits has a smaller size than capacity.
In a circuit switching network, it works based on loss Network, not delay, but on digital switching networks it can also cause delay.
There are three phases contained in circuit switching, namely;
- Circuit establishment.
- Transfer data.
- Circuit termination.
A circuit switching network can be used for connections that are:
- Real time-speech (ex: telephone)
- Real time-data very high bit transmitted
Example of a circuit switching:
- networkTelephone Network
- ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Networks)
Manage Service WAN packet switching is a method for transferring data in the internet network, the entire data packet will be sent from the node which has been broken into several parts.
Each piece of data has a description of the origin and purpose for which it is to be achieved. Most likely this data will be routed to a destination on the same channel simultaneously, then it will be sequenced and routed to a different channel via a router.
Packet Switching is not fixed on the transmission capacity on the network, data will be sent out in the form of data packets or data series that are cut into small pieces.
Each of these data packets will be routed through the network from point to point to destination at the point where the entire packet is received, stored quickly and transmitted to the next point.
The function of a packet-switched network is to receive data packets from the sending terminal to be forwarded to the receiving terminal.
As for the advantages of packet switching, namely: The
- use of a larger line will be more efficient than the relationship between nodes and can use shared lines dynamically depending on the number of packets that can be sent
- Can solve the problem of different data rates between two types of networks with different data rates.
- The traffic load increases in the circuit switching model because the occurrence of some messages to be transferred is blocked. Transmission can only be done when the traffic load starts to decrease. Whereas in the packet switching model, packets can still be sent but will be slow to reach their destination (delivery delay increases).
- data priority delivery. So that in a queue the packet will be sent. Data packets can be prioritized compared to other data packages, so that if there are packets that are prioritized, the delay is smaller than other packets.
Strengths and Weaknesses of a WAN Network
Manage WAN services of course have advantages and disadvantages as follows:
Advantages of WAN Networks
The advantages of Manage Service WAN networks that make many people choose WANs. Below are the advantages of the WAN Manage Service network:
that can be reached Manage Service WAN or Wide Area Network is a very wide network so it can connect between regions, islands to between continents.
If the local network is connected to a WAN, inter-local communication across computers can send data packets to all computers with fast data transfer.
Manage Service WAN can function as a centralized data storage area. So thus all data or files stored in the company can be used by every computer connected to the WAN network even though the distance is very far.
Increasing Data Exchange Security
Every computer connected to the Manage Service WAN network can exchange data more securely because external computers cannot access the WAN network without prior authentication.
Weaknesses of WAN Networks
If we discussed the advantages earlier, now we will discuss the shortcomings of networks in the Manage Service WAN network as follows:
High enough setting costs
Although WAN network security is more guaranteed, Manage Service WANs have a high level of complexity of settings.
So that every device needed to build a WAN network is quite expensive, because it requires a lot of equipment and data before the existing network must be connected to the internet network.
As said before, besides being expensive, Manage Service WAN devices certainly require very complicated settings and require people who are experts with WAN technology.
Using a Good Firewall
Besides being complicated, Manage Service WANs also require a good Firewall security system to limit incoming outside users and can interfere with the network system.
Range hackers or threats outside the
WANs are also very vulnerable to data security problems because we cannot control or monitor what is happening between nodes that are very remote.
It could be that this data package that goes very far can be taken by someone who is not responsible. Those are the advantages and disadvantages of a WAN. If you are interested in SD – WAN you can read in more detail here yes.
Example of a WAN Network
In order to better understand the implementation of the Manage Service WAN, here are some examples of WAN network application:
The Internet is an example of a WAN network. The concept of the internet itself is a computer network that is connected to one another on the most extensive and international network.
Thus, each computer can be connected to each other with the internet network which is one implementation of the WAN network.
WAN Network Implemented in International
Companies This international company is a company that has branches in many countries throughout the world.
As an international company, it certainly needs a network that can connect every branch around the world. So the network used is the Manage Service WAN network.
The picture is like this:
- The company center is a company that has a central server that contains a database of companies located in Indonesia.
- If the company has branches in other countries, it needs its own server center.
- So that all information contained in the central database can be accessed by computers at branch offices, a company internal local network is implemented, so that the coverage area can be broad enough to be able to serve data from the central database.