LAN(Local Area Network), of course we often hear the name of this one network if we are in a room with a lot of computers, for example in internet cafes, computer labs, and offices.
Moreover, at this time DAN is also a business for IT companies that provide LAN managed service services.
Then what is a local area network? What are the benefits, what are the types? Now in this article we will discuss more about this one local network, let’s look at the following.
Yang Mungkin Kamu Cari
Understanding LAN is a type of computer network that has the smallest or limited area coverage.
An example is Manage local area network services in an office, school, home, or in a cafe network. So that in computer network communication is not more than one kilometer away and uses a very fast connection ranging from 2 to 100 Mbps.
Today’s IT companies deliver LAN managed service services that provide solutions for companies or individuals who want to build a more structured local area network network division.
LAN characteristics LAN
Talking about service management, of course we must know the characteristics of a LAN that are different from other network characteristics, here are some LAN characteristics:
LAN has several characteristics that distinguish it from MAN (Metropolitan Area Network) and WAN (Wide Area Network) networks. Some of the characteristics of LAN service management are as follows:
- LANs have a narrower area or scope, such as schools, offices, internet cafes, and homes.
- LAN has a higher data transfer.
- LAN can function, aka can communicate even though the LAN does not need internet access.
Functions The main function of the LAN managed service network is to connect several computers on a network, so that the work process has a better speed.
In accordance with the previous definition of LAN, the purpose of LAN is as follows:
- To connect computer devices in a small area.
- To communicate between computers and network devices.
- To make computers so that they can speed up the process of sharing data and programs between computers on a network.
- Save operational costs because devices in one network can be used simultaneously.
Basic Components of a LAN NetworkLAN
Managed Service has basic components that have been arranged in such a way that it can connect several computers.
Here are some of the basic components of a LAN are as follows:
- Server is hardware that serves to serve networks and workstations that are connected to a network.
- Workstation, is a host or node in the form of a computer system.
- Link, which is part of the Manage service LAN network that physically connects devices such as workstations and servers.
- Network Interface Card (NIC), from the name alone, it can be seen that the NIC is an electronic circuit specifically designed to handle network protocols.
- Network Software, is software used to manage and run LAN networks.
LAN Network PrinciplesLAN
Inservice management services, of course we need to know what the principles of LAN networks include the hardware used to build a LAN network such as server computers, clients, hubs, switches and others.
- The server computer is the main or host computer that provides the information needed by clients and users.
- Client computers or users will retrieve and also access information from the server computer at the same time.
- Data packets and information requested by client and user computers will be transmitted by the server computer which acts as a transmitter with a network cable or wireless connectivity media.
- The server will provide information or data to the client computer via network devices such as hubs, switches and bridges that will filter, share and distribute data according to the path that has been made.
- The data packet that has been transmitted, the client computer will make a request which acts as a receiver, which is ready to receive information and also data packets sent by the server.
- In the process of transferring and including data transmission, an Info or data packet will pass through a special layer or layer to be able to define and include transmitted to every network device.
- Server computers and client computers that are connected to each other in the Manage service LAN, will use certain network protocols, so that they are able to connect and communicate with each other, such as the TCP / IPprotocol
- LANd Including being able to be used to transmit the internet network either wirelessly or using a cable.
In principle, only use an access point, or router that is connected to the internet network.
You only need to connect some of the following user’s computers with an access point or router that already has internet access, and all of the computers connected to the following LAN network are able to access the internet network.
- Resource Sharing
Resource sharing aims so that all programs or software tools, especially the information used by each person is available to the network so without being influenced by the data and users.
Users can also communicate with other devices and transfer information between workstations too easily.
Will get high reliability by having alternative sources of inventory. For example, all files can be copied to two or three machines.
So if one of the following machines is unused (due to a hardware problem), then the other copies available on the other machine can be used.
- Can save costs Small
computers have a better price ratio than large computers. Mainframe computers are roughly ten times the speed of personal computers.
However, mainframes cost a thousand times more. This equilibrium price ratio is caused to build a system consisting of personal computers.
Workstations are capable of sharing equipment like printers, of course this will be cheaper, except for shopping for a printer for one workstation.
- Information security is more guaranteed
Talking about information security has become an absolute thing, every network will certainly be installed with a good firewall, so the following networks will cause attacks from outside to be difficult.
Allows an administrator on the network to control important data sets so that they can be accessed by certain users.
- Increase the effectiveness of work
As long as the network is installed with a good firewall, the next network can make attacks from outside become difficult. Allows an administrator on the network to be able to control important data that can only be accessed by special users.
Paperless, yes, don’t use paper or reduce paper. We know that paper is made from trees.
So that by reducing our use of paper, we will help make the earth greener while reducing paper costs.
- Data management
With a computer network, it can make managing important data organization and data backup easier.
- Hardware sharing
With the network, it can cause network devices such as printers that can be used in one network, not only printers but scanners.
Of course this includes making finances more efficient because there is no need to buy a printer for one computer.
Advantages and Disadvantages of LAN
On a local network or Manage LAN service, of course, it has advantages and disadvantages, as follows:
- Can transmit data to a server and then to the client.
- The use of local networks makes work more efficient and effective.
- Data security and confidentiality or investment is more guaranteed because LAN has a security system in the form of password authentication.
- Does not require too many cables.
- The user interface used is a standard facility.
- Can create a network that can connect between systems and various devices.
- Save time because the Manage service LAN network can transfer data from computer to computer faster.
- Can connect various LAN networks via optical fiber, cable pair, infrared light and cable pair.
- If too many devices are connected, the speed may decrease.
- Applications must be designed for multi users.
- LAN has a slow modem speed.
- If a computer is connected to a network or topology, if it is exposed to a virus, all vulnerable computers are also exposed to a virus
- Within the scope of LAN this narrow course can only be used to contact
- Since all computers / PCs connected in a network or topology then when one of them is infected with a virus, other computers will also bervirus
- The system uses one network there is still a possibility the network could be hacked
- Regarding the location of the LAN can only be connected between computers in one building for example within one campus, in one room using server and client systems.
LAN topology LAN
topology is a computer system arrangement connected to each other in a network. This topology is also important in managing LAN services which determine the physical and logical aspects of the network.
In a logical and physical topology, LAN service management can be the same or different in the same network. The following are the types of LAN topologies:
Mesh topology (Point to point)
Mesh topology is a type of host topology connected to one or more hosts. This topology has hosts that are on point-to-point with every other host or maybe hosts that are in point-to-point connections with only a few hosts.
Hosts in the mesh topology also function as relays if other hosts do not have direct point-to-point links. Mesh topology technology comes in two types:
- Full Mesh: all hosts have a point-to-point connection to every other host in a network. This type has the most reliable network structure among all network topologies.
- Partially Mesh: this type is not all point-to-point to other hosts. Hosts are connected to each other.
Star Topology (Star Topology)
This star topology is a topology where all devices connected to the hub as a point-to-point connection.
So that there is a point designated as host and hub. For hub devices it can be one of the following layers:
Layer-1 devices such as hubs or repeaters
Layer-2 devices such as switches or bridges
Layer-3 devices such as routers or gateways
For this star topology it does not require expensive costs which only requires one cable only .
Ring Topology (Ring Network)
This ring topology is a topology that connects two machines and others. Create circular shapes.
When a host tries to communicate or send messages to a host that is not adjacent to it, any data or information will be sent through all intermediate hosts.
If you want to add one more host then you only need one extra cable.
If a failure occurs from one of the hosts, all hosts will experience a similar connection failure.
Topology This bus topology has a single communication line or cable. The bus topology may have problems in terms of sending data simultaneously from each host.
Bus topology is a topology that has a simple network form where device failure does not affect other devices.
However, if there is a failure on one of the communication lines, all lines will stop functioning.
Each end of the channel has a terminator which if data is sent in only one direction and once it reaches the end it will erase the data.
Tree Topology (Tree Network) Tree
topology or tree topology is famous for its hierarchical topology, the most common form of network topology used today, the topology is a bit like an extended star topology and inherits the properties of the bus topology.
Tree topology divides the network into several network levels or layers. Especially in the Manage LAN service, there are three types of network devices.
Where at the bottom is the access layer where the computer is installed. The middle layer is the distribution layer, which functions as an intermediary or mediator between the lower layer and the upper layer.
Similar to a bus topology where one root goes down, the entire network will be disrupted. While not the only failure, every connection is a point of failure.
LAN equipment and devicesLAN
Manageservice, of course, will require computer network tools or devices that physically have their respective functions so that they can build a computer network.
What are the Manage service LAN devices needed to create a network? Here is an example of a computer network device:
UTP cable (unshielded twisted pairs)
UTP cable or “Unshielded twisted pair” is used as a link between LAN devices and telephone systems.
This UTP cable consists of 4 colors of copper conductor wrapped in protection. This UTP cable connects to network devices via an 8 pin modular connector called an RJ-45.
Almost all Manage service LAN networks can use this UTP cable which is also equipped with an RJ-45 connector.
Consists of 5 categories or levels for UTP cable, where this category is also divided according to low speed voice signals or low speed voice and high speed LAN signals.
Category 5 UTP is recommended as the minimum category for Manage service LAN installations suitable for star topologies.
The following table of UTP categories:
|Cat 1||1||Voice, Mainframe, Dumb Terminal|
|Cat 2||4||4 MB Token Ring|
|Cat 3||10||10MB Ethernet|
|Cat 4||20||16 MB Token Ring|
|Cat 5||100||100 MB Ethernet|
RJ-45 connector such
as has been discussed in the UTP cable section that the RJ 45 connector is a connector used in small network installations or Managed service LANs.
This connector connects the UTP cable with the NIC, which is also widely used as the RJ45 port.
The most basic characteristic is that there is a connector color which consists of 8 colors for the color sequence of the lan cable to make it easier to install.
To install it, a crimping technique is needed using the RJ 45 connector crimping pliers. But if an error occurs during use, the connector must be replaced with a new one because it is only disposable.
Crimping pliers Crimping
pliers or Crimp tool is a tool that is mandatory for the Manage service LAN network installation, especially for installing UTP cables on the RJ45 connector. For the form of pliers, it does vary, but their function is the same, namely to cut and peel cables and others.
Network Card (LAN Card)
Network card (LAN Card) is a card that serves as a bridge from a computer to a computer network. Types of NICs in circulation are divided into two types, namely physical NICs and logical NICs.
Switch / Hub Figure 7 Switch / Hub
Hub and Switch are 2 different hardware. They both have different uses too.
The switch will free users to customize each existing port. So, a switch can also be defined as a network that can connect multiple networks based on the MAC address.
While the Hub can be divided into 2, namely passive Hub and Active Hub. What is the difference? The active Hub has utility as a repeater. So, this type of Hub can send an amplified transmission. As for the passive Hub itself has the benefit of being able to separate and share the incoming sign to be transmitted to the network.
The following is a hub figure 7 switch:
LAN tester is a useful tool for checking UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) cables or LAN cables. Before checking the UTP cable, it is necessary to have an RJ-45 or RJ-11 installed. This is one of the tools used to manage LAN services.
The wrong sequence of local area network cables will be detected using this tool. The color order of the local area network cable has to match your needs.
Installing a LAN (Local Area Network)
In a network management service, of course, the correct installation of a local area network is one of the things that really needs to be considered. LAN stands for Local Area Network, which is a network where hardware and software can communicate with each other in a limited space.
There are several steps that must be done in the LAN installation, including the UTP cable wiring, LAN settings on the computer, configuring the IP address, and the printing sharing folder. Will be discussed one by one.
UTP cable cabling
- Peel the end of the UTP cable, approximately 2 cm.
- Open the strands of the cable, straighten and order the cables according to the TIA / EIA 368B standard.
- After the sequence is according to the standard, cut and align the ends of the cables, put the straight and parallel cables into the RJ-45 connector, and make sure all the cables are positioned correctly.
- Perform crimping using the crimping tools, press the crimping tool and make sure all pins (brass) against the RJ-45 connector have bitten each cable. When finished with one end, repeat to the other end.
- The final step is to check the cable that we made earlier by using a LAN tester, how to input each end of the cable (RJ-45 connector) into each of the existing ports on the LAN tester, turn it on and make sure all the LED lights are lit according to the circuit. cable that we made.
- Make sure the end of the UTP cable that is already attached to the RJ-45 connector is correct, the cable sheath (blue) counts a little bit into the connector.
If you are looking for a good local area network cable, you can choose the Draka brand. Draka is one of the best LAN connection cables loved by the public. Other excellent Draka UTP cable products are Category 5e, Category 6, Category 6A, Category 7, Category 7A, and Category 8A.
LAN Settings on theComputer
- FirstClick start in the lower left corner of your PC, click Control panel
- Then click Network Connections
- Click Properties
- On General Click Internet Protocol (TCP / IP), then you will see Internet Protocol (TCP / IP) Properties
- Ip address: 192.168.13.6
- Netmask: 255.255.255.224
- Gateway: 192.168.13.1
- Preferred DNS: 188.8.131.52
- Alternate DNS: 184.108.40.206
Configuring IP Address
- Right-click your network icon
- If you use wifi the icon will look like signal / wifi
- If You use a LAN cable, the icon will look like the following picture.
- Select “Open Network and Sharing Center”
- Then click on the network you are using
- Then select “Details ..”
- For method no 4 & 5 just do it if there is an internet connection at your place, if not there go to step 6.
- Thendown the IPv4 Address section
- writeIn this step you need to record your IP and your Gateway, so you can still be connected to the internet
- Select Properties
- Select / Double click on “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4) ”
- Then select Select“ Use the following IP address ”.
- If you have an internet connection in your place, you can fill in the IP address, Subnet mask and Default Gateway as stated earlier (at number 5)
- IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
And for client settings, your contents are the same as above, can only be the IP address, can be filled in the sequence 192.168.1.3 and so on.
- When finished, click OK
- Select OK again. Your computer has IP settings.
Folder and Printer Sharing
- Open Control Panel> Printers plus Faxes, right click on your Printer> Select Sharing.
- Then the Sharing Properties tab will appear. Make sure you select the Share this printer checkbox, give it any name you like and end by clicking OK. If there is a request for Windows CD, or confirmation from printer sharing, specify “Just Enable File plus Printer Sharing” and click OK
- . This is where the host pc settings are complete.
Then the second stage, namely Printer Settings on the client computer. Here are the steps:
- Open Control Panel> Printers plus Faxes> On the tab on the left select Add a Printer.
- Then the Add Printer Wizard will open, Click Next
- Select the type of printer that will be used, make sure you select Network Printer> Next
- Browse for printers on your network, make sure you don’t have the wrong address end with Next The
- computer will confirm whether this Network Printer will be used as the Main Printer? Select according to your needs.
- End the Wizard by clicking Finish.
Sequence and Types of LAN Cables
The LAN cable arrangement can be divided into two types, namely Straight and Cross local area network cables. Both have a different color order of the LAN cable in terms of network service local area networks.
LAN Cable Straight (Straight)
For the arrangement of straight cable colors from one end to the other the same. Now the sequence is as follows:
- White Orange
- White Green
- White Blue
- White Brown
LAN Cross Cable (Cross)
Color of the cross end cable 1
- White orange
- White green
- White blue
- white brown
Color of the cross end cable 2
- white green
- white orange
- white blue
- white brown
Other Information LAN
If you need more information about managing LAN services, then there is a variety of LAN related information below.
How to Make a LAN Cable
- Cut the cable length as needed.
- Peel off the outer wrapper of the cord, only as wide as your little finger. Be careful that the little wire inside is cut.
- Sort the small cable in it so that it is straight, so that it is easy to insert into the RJ45 connector.
- Insert the cable into the RJ45 connector, making sure all the ends are stuck in the connector. So that the cable is bitten by the copper of the connector.
- Clamp the connector to use crimping pliers, do not pull the cable position until it is pulled or make sure it is properly inserted together with the cable.
- Done, you’re done.
To test whether the cable is functioning properly or not, you can use a LAN tester.
How to Know the Wifi Password Connected with a LAN Cable
Actually, there are 2 ways to find out the Wifi password connected to a LAN cable. Namely from the control panel and command prompt.
- How to use control panel
- Enter the settings menu, then click Change adapter connection
- Then right click on the connected network and click Status
- Click wireless properties and enter the security tab, then check Show password
- Using Command Prompt
- Click the start menu> on search programs and files type CMD then type netsh wlan show profile name SSID key = clear then enter
* note change the SSID name with your own wifi name
- Then the profile info interface of the wireless network connections will be displayed and the wifi password will be displayed on the information key content
Internet Sharing Via LAN
- Go to Control Panel à Network and Internet à Network and Sharing Center
- Next go to Change Adapter Settings on the left side of the window. Right click on the wifi adapter à Click Properties.
- Go to the Sharing tab then check the first box à click OK.
- Setting PC ethernet IP as gateway.
- IP pc settings connected to the LAN to get a share connection.
How to LAN Settings LAN
Sharing is done to share documents between computers that are on a network topology. Connecting between these computers using a local area network cable with the Straight type.
LAN Not Detected
Often when you feel connected, the LAN cable is not connected, the cause could be that the KAN you installed is not properly plugged in, is damaged, or the driver has not been installed.
The fix is easy:
- Click the Windows key + R
- Run the command “devmgmt.msc: and click enter.
- Later you will enter the Network Adapter settings.
- Take a look, if the LAN is already installed or not, if possible, then there is a possibility that the LAN cable used is an error not LAN Card.
The fix is quite easy:
- Use the available drivers. while shopping for a LAN Card, in the sales box, there must be a default driver that is compatible with the LAN Card, Install the driver. but if there is no driver in it, Advanced or missing. You can download the following driver manual on Google.
- Unplug and clean the LAN Card slot along with an eraser or other soft object, especially in the brass connector.
- Check the physical form of the LAN Card used, whether there are scratches, collisions, black spots or other things that indicate damage to the LAN Card, if so, return it to the seller or shop for a new LAN Card.
Best LAN Tester
To test whether the LAN cable is working, maybe you can choose the price of a LAN cable which is a little more expensive and you need a good quality LAN tester too. Actually all LAN testers have the same function in the world of managed LAN services. But for the best and very commonly used is a LAN tester as shown below.
Interested in the product Aruba Switch 2540 from Netdata? You can contact me directly here.